Whether you’re just setting up shop or are in the market for new office machines and supplies, you should know that there are five office products that every workplace needs. Some of them are obvious, such as staplers and paper shredders, but a few are less so, such as a binding machine. All of these products can make your workday more productive, and some of them will enhance your image and even protect your privacy. Let’s take a look at what your office needs.
1. A stapler. Obviously, staplers are necessary objects for every workplace and luckily, there are many to choose from. One of the best-known stapler brands is Swingline. The company produces a wide range of products from compact staplers that will fasten just a few pages to heavy-duty electric ones that are perfect for thick documents.
2. A whiteboard. A whiteboard would be a great addition to your office’s conference room. It will help you brainstorm and keep track of things, as well as communicate with your colleagues during meetings. Some of the best makers of whiteboards are Ghent, Quartet, and Balt Best-Rite. They all produce boards of various sizes so you can find one that’s perfect for your workplace.
3. A binding machine. Whether you’re preparing a report for your boss or some sales materials for customers, a binding machine can make your documents look their best. There are several binding methods available including thermal, spiral coil, wire, and plastic comb. Depending on the machine you choose, you can even produce documents that are akin to real hardcover books – imagine how impressed your customers and/or boss would be when they see that. Some brands to check out include Unibind, GBC, Akiles, Fellowes, Pro-Bind, and Tamerica.
4. A laminator. Laminators are essential if you need to preserve important documents and protect ones that will be handled frequently, such as menus. These machines are also great for enhancing photos because the film will really make the colors pop. You can even make employee badges with some of the smaller laminators. A great series of these devices is the GBC HeatSeal lineup. You should also take a look at laminators made by Fellowes.
5. A paper shredder or two. Finally, every office should have a paper shredder. By destroying your unwanted documents, you can protect yourself, your colleagues, and customers from becoming victims of identity theft. Using a paper shredder will also help you comply with certain federal privacy laws such as the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA). There are a number of shredder manufacturers that make great products including Intimus and MBM. Fellowes and GBC also make good machines.
Finally, make sure you have all the supplies you need to enjoy these great products. Some of the things you’ll need include staples, whiteboard markers and erasers, binding covers and spines, and laminating pouches. You’ll also need shredder oil to keep your paper shredder in good condition.